REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS 2018
Women, Arts & Progressive Social Change
Deadline to Apply: Friday, March 16, 2018, 5 pm EST
Asian Women Giving Circle (AWGC) believes culture is an essential part of any strategy for social change. We support Asian American women-led organizations and individual artists in New York City who are using arts and culture to:
- bring about progressive social transformation,
- raise awareness and catalyze action around critical issues that affect Asian American women, girls and families, and
- highlight and promote women’s central role as leaders, creators, developers and managers of these projects.
We anticipate that 5-8 project grants will be awarded, contingent on available funding. The maximum grant amount is $15,000.
Who We Are
AWGC is the first and largest giving circle in the nation led by Asian American women. Asian Americans are the fastest growing racial and ethnic group in New York City (comprising 14% of the population) yet our communities receive less than 1% of philanthropic dollars. Our goals are to:
- Channel more resources into our local communities
- Engage more people to invest in creative projects by and for our communities
- Shine an authentic spotlight on our experiences and stories
- Promote progressive social change
- Raise the visibility of Asian American women doing philanthropic work
All donors to the giving circle are invited to vote on the projects they wish to see funded. The AWGC Steering Committee is a group of approximately 25 diverse Asian American women who lead the grantmaking and fundraising efforts of the giving circle. We are a donor-advised fund at the Ms. Foundation for Women, which distributes our funds solely at our direction.
AWGC funds individual artists and community groups whose projects contribute to progressive social and political change. Since our founding, we have raised and awarded over $850,000 in support of over 80 projects.
- This RFP is open to both 501(c)(3) organizations and individual artists
- Artists and collectives that are not 501(c)(3)s must apply under a fiscal sponsor that is a 501(c)(3) organization, which they must list on their application as the applying organization.
- NOTE: Failure to provide 501(c)(3) documentation or to provide a fiscal sponsor with the same will automatically disqualify the application.
- All artistic disciplines will be considered, including cross-disciplinary work
- Projects must incorporate the arts in an integral way
- Projects must highlight women’s leadership and/or central role
- Projects must demonstrate a deep commitment to a specific community in NYC
- Grants must be applied to specific projects and cannot support the organization’s ongoing programs, operations, capital or endowments
- Applicants can be at any stage in their careers but must have a track record of developed work that demonstrates their capacity to complete the proposed project and manage the funds requested
- Proposals must make a clear case for the theory of change envisioned by the project, based on the applicants’ own criteria for defining and measuring impact
What We Do Not Fund
- Capital or endowment campaigns
- Equipment purchases
- Support to address financial crises or shortfalls
- Purely personal works of artistic expression with little or no social justice impact
- Documentation that is primarily of cultural events
- Performances or personalities that do not provide a social change analysis or social justice focus
- Student productions or projects associated with a degree program and academic credit
All applications are reviewed by the Steering Committee of the Asian Women Giving Circle. A short-list of applicant projects are advanced as “finalists” and all donors to the grantmaking pool will be invited to vote via email ballot on the projects they believe should be funded. The final grant allocation decisions are made by the Steering Committee and submitted to our fiscal sponsor, the Ms. Foundation for Women. The Ms. Foundation disburses the grants solely at our direction.
Applications will be reviewed by the AWGC Steering Committee on the basis of:
- The quality of the project concept in relation to social change
- The potential impact of the project to change hearts, minds, and communities towards progressive social change
- The artist’s or organization’s strong commitment to a particular community in NYC
- The central role of Asian American women and girls in the project’s conceptual framework, design and implementation
- The artist’s or organization’s ability to complete the project and use the grant funds effectively
- Grant application deadline is 5 pm EST, Friday, March 16, 2018. Applications submitted after the deadline will not be accepted.
- Notification of Grant Awards will be made by mid-June 2018
- All grantees will be required to submit a narrative and financial report at the end of the grant year (June 2019)
How to Apply
This RFP is administered via the grants portal of the Ms. Foundation for Women. Applications will be accepted ONLY via this online process.
Tax Exempt Status Verification
501(c)(3) or 501(c)(4): Please provide a copy of your organization’s IRS tax-exempt determination letter. If your tax-exempt status is pending or if you are applying under a fiscal sponsor, attach a copy of your fiscal sponsor’s most recent IRS determination letter along with a signed Memorandum of Understanding that establishes fiscal sponsorship.
Work samples are optional but encouraged. Your work sample should be a current representation of the project’s proposed activities. ONLINE SAMPLES ARE PREFERRED. Mailed samples will NOT be returned. Be sure to mark your sample with the name of your organization and project.
Acceptable work samples are:
- Link to online video, CD or DVD (max. 3 minutes in length); please include cue instructions and URL (if sharing online sample) in narrative above
- Hard copies or photos or scanned images (max of 5)
- Printed books or printed sample, or scanned PDF images
Work samples may be mailed to the following address and must be received by 5 pm EST, Friday, March 16, 2018:
Asian Women Giving Circle
c/o Ms. Foundation for Women
12 MetroTech Center, 26th floor
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Format for Proposals
Narrative must follow the following format:
- Type, use a 12-point font size and single-space
- Answer all the questions in the order listed
- Save in PDF format
Once you’ve saved your proposal as a PDF, you may then upload it through the online application procedure described below.
Online Application Procedure
Your proposal must be submitted through the Ms. Foundation’s online application process using the following link to access the application form:
NOTE: In order to view your application, your internet browser must be able to view cookies.
- When you access the application form, you will be prompted to create a username and password. This will allow you to save your work and access your application in the future. Please retain your username and password. Neither the Giving Circle nor the Ms. Foundation has access to your account login information.
- Once an application has been saved or submitted, you can log back into the system using the following link: https://www.grantrequest.com/SID_829?SA=AM
- The online application will ask you a set of questions before prompting you to upload your proposal saved in PDF format.
NOTE: There is a 3 MB size limit for files uploaded to your application. If you do not already have PDF conversion ability, you can create a PDF within the size limit by using PromoPDF software (to download for free, visit www.primoPDF.com). Note that scanning a printed document to create a PDF will likely produce a document that is too large for uploading.
NOTE: The system will shut down at 5 pm EST. After that time, applications can no longer be accepted. Please do not wait until the deadline to submit your application. We cannot make exceptions for late applications, even if the delay was due to computer problems or other unforeseen complications.
Please note that incomplete applications, applications sent via regular mail, or applications that do not adhere to the specified requirements will not be accepted.
- Please familiarize yourself with this online application before the deadline.
- You will receive a confirmation email (sent to the email you noted on your application) once your application has been received.
Contact Information for RFP
For technical difficulties, please send an email to email@example.com
Should you have questions regarding the RFP, please email firstname.lastname@example.org